About Me

My photo
Tribes Alehouse & Grill ~ Mokena and Tinley Park, Illinois, United States
Hey, my name is Niall and I own the Tribes Alehouses in Mokena and Tinley Park, IL. I am an avid fan of good food, craft beer, mead and wine and truly believe there is a world where everything can co-exist. In my opinion that world is located in the South suburbs of Chicago! So swing by for a beer, burger or just to say hello to our friends and co-workers. We are not a chain, so enjoy knowing that we all work really hard to ensure you have the best time possible when you come to our little Alehouses! We constantly host special events and specialty tappings, please keep an eye on our website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the most current updates of whats going on!

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yup! Go Ahead and Bring the Kids!


As a Restaurateur, I have to walk a fine line when it comes to those that are served or more appropriately, not served! The staffs at both Tribes Alehouse locations know to card hard; it is not only the law of the land, but the law of Niall as well! That being said, we do like to try and be as family friendly as possible!
Even Mom and Dad get a taste for a good brew every now and then but can’t seem (or don’t want) to locate a sitter. So we encourage you to come in and enjoy the ambience and flavor of some of your favorite brews! The only thing I ask, please control the kids! Our servers are busy bopping back and forth from table to table, gingerly balancing trays often loaded with more than a few pints!  There is nothing worse than playing dodge with a child who has decided that dancing around the table like it is a maypole is far more interesting than gnashing through some Aged Cheddar & Pancetta Macaroni & Cheese!
I have kids as well and I bring the family in for a dinner together at one of our locations from time to time. I have a strict ‘Stay in Your Seat’ policy as well as a ‘Respect Those Around You’ policy that must be followed until we leave the restaurant. I can’t think of anything worse than having a nice, grown up dinner interrupted by a misbehaving child.
True story – while traveling with the family some time ago, we stopped at a local eatery during a rather longer leg of the trip. We were all car weary and the kids were especially feeling pent up and restricted. A perfect time to stop, stretch our legs and grab some much needed nourishment! Not the most ideal time to enforce the above mentioned policies, but they are enforced none the less! We were nearly done with our meal when and elderly gentleman and woman approached our table….
“We would like to buy your children a dessert,” stated the gentleman.
Surprised, I looked to my wife and the looked back to the couple and asked to what do we owe this kindness?
The gentleman responded in one of the kindest tones I have ever heard, “We have been here since before you walked in, right at the table next to you, and never once did we realize that you had children at the table! I don’t think I have ever seen better behaved children in a restaurant.”
His wife added, “They are simply dears and deserve a treat for behaving so well!”
Well, far be it from me to look a free dessert in the eye and refuse and far be it from me not to reward my children for good behavior. So after a couple of Chocolate Lava cakes and a couple of scoops of ice cream, we were back on the road with full and sleepy children on the car!
So bring the kids in for a dinner and maybe, just maybe, some kind soul will reward the little tikes for their excellent restaurant behavior!

No comments:

Post a Comment