About Me

My photo
Tribes Alehouse & Grill ~ Mokena and Tinley Park, Illinois, United States
Hey, my name is Niall and I own the Tribes Alehouses in Mokena and Tinley Park, IL. I am an avid fan of good food, craft beer, mead and wine and truly believe there is a world where everything can co-exist. In my opinion that world is located in the South suburbs of Chicago! So swing by for a beer, burger or just to say hello to our friends and co-workers. We are not a chain, so enjoy knowing that we all work really hard to ensure you have the best time possible when you come to our little Alehouses! We constantly host special events and specialty tappings, please keep an eye on our website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the most current updates of whats going on!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Beer Guy or Marriage Counselor? Hmmmm...



Did you know that scientists have long theorized that beer has actual medicinal value? Anthropologists found, thousands of years before the 1928 discovery of penicillin, people in ancient Nubia (located in Egypt) were using beer as an antibiotic to treat everything from infected wounds to gum disease. Nubian beer, it was discovered, contained tetracycline, that same tetracycline was found in the mummified bones of the Nubians! So, who needs a flu shot? Just grab a pint of Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, at least it sounds like it has some vitamin C in it!
As well as being medicinal in value, I have seen beer bring people together! As a beer guy and restaurateur; I have seen many different people pass through my doors. Generally, during the week, you have a bit of an older crowd coming in. Single people hanging out, married people getting away for the evening or even the occasional date.; it’s the weekends that come alive for the dating crowd as they are the easiest to spot. So, having seen my share of the different types, I can always recognize the potential strains in the relationships!
On one particular evening, I noted a couple that had quietly come in, he slightly ahead of her, she behind him, head looking down, eyes slightly puffy. Let me interject here; what is it about a couple (married or not) that makes them soldier on through an issue even when they clearly should have gone home or somewhere less public to work it out? I never understood that. Ok, back to the story.
They took a seat towards the rear of the restaurant where we have a table for four tucked away in the corner, just opposite of the entrance wall. They sat across from each other, but barely looked at each other. 
They sit there, quietly, not looking at each other, until one of our servers, (Lets call her Sally), approaches them. Quickly looking through their menus they place an order and then go back to looking down. No drink order I noticed, so, being the curious, owner that I am, I walk to the table, introduce myself and ask if they have been taken care of yet, and if so, what they are drinking.
Both look at me, a little dazed and not really understanding what I was asking. So I turn to the puffy eyed lady and say, ‘You look like a Two Hearted Ale kind of girl!’ 
‘Really?’ she asks, ‘Why do you think that?’
‘Well,’ I respond, ‘If your heart is as big as those blue eyes, then you fit the Two Hearted Ale perfectly!’ Then leaning over to her husband I say, ‘Wouldn’t you agree those beautiful eyes are worth a Two Hearted Ale?’
Looking up, a little cofused, he stares into his wife’s eyes and when he does I see his look soften and a smile begin to emerge. She responds with a soft smile as her cheeks begin to redden; obviously that is a look she enjoys! ‘I absolutely agree!’ he responds!
‘Then it’s settled! A Two Hearted Ale for your lovely bride!’ And as I am walking away to alert Sally of the order, the husband asks:
‘What about for me?’
‘Well, if I know my situations, I would say a Stone Arrogant Bastard! Wouldn’t you?’
He smiles, she laughs, he winks and says: ‘Most certainly!’
Ah! The medicinal quality and marriage saving traits of beer! And not too shabby for this old Hops Peddler either!

No comments:

Post a Comment